What Everyone Needs to Know About Neck Pain Caused by Text Neck
When do you need to see your chiropractor about text neck?
One of the most common chiropractic problems we see at Forever Oak Health Center in Bloomfield Hills, MI is a condition you may never have heard of called text neck. Text neck is the neck pain that we all can develop from spending too many hours on a cell phone.
What causes text neck?
Text neck is the result of poor posture while using a mobile device. People develop text neck when they hunch over their phones with their heads drooped forward and their shoulders rounded. It is a common problem in people who spend too much time on their mobile phones, tables and or computers.
How much time is too much time on your phone? Americans spend an average of 3 hours and 35 minutes a day on their phones, and another 1 hour and 9 minutes on their pad computers. That is 4 hours and 44 minutes every day scrunched up over a hand-sized screen.
Looking down at a mobile device puts between 45 and 50 pounds of pressure on the muscles of the neck. Putting that much pressure on the back of your neck using your phone and pad is the equivalent of doing 3,500 to 3,700 repetitions on a neck machine at the fitness center. It's no wonder most people develop neck pain.
How can you prevent text neck?
Every chiropractor will tell you that the best way to prevent text neck is to use your mobile devices less. That means that if you need to send a long email, you should send it from laptop, not from your phone. It is healthier to do your gaming sessions on your laptop instead of your phone or pad. But if you can't cut back on the time you spend on your mobile devices, make these changes:
- Don't droop your head to look down at your phone. Instead, tuck your chin into your chest.
- Use your mobile device when you are sitting down, not when you are standing up. That way you can be sure to sit up straight with your shoulders back and your chest forward.
- Don't use your phone or pad in bright sunlight. That way you do not have to scrunch over the screen to see it.
- Bring your arms up in front of your eyes so you do not need to bend your neck to see the screen.
Stretches can help you relieve the pain text neck.
There are several easy exercises that can help you relieve the pain of text neck. Just a few minutes a day with these three exercises goes a long way toward relieving neck pain.
- Squeeze a stress ball. About 30 seconds with each hand is enough to relieve tension in your neck. This is an exercise you can do once an hour.
- Do a chest stretch. Stand up straight with your arms at your sides. Turn your forearms until your thumbs are pointing at the wall behind you. Repeat 10 times. This is an exercise you should do at least twice a day.
- Do a hand stretch. Make a fist. Then open your hand and stretch your fingers as far apart as they will go. For added resistance, you can place a rubber band around your fingers. Do 10 stretches several times a day.
Before text neck becomes unbearable, see your chiropractor in Bloomfield Hills.
It takes more than a few days of good posture to cancel out the effects of years of bad posture. Your Bloomfield Hill, MI chiropractor at Forever Oak Health Center can help speed up the process of healing, without pain meds, and without surgery. Make your appointment with Dr. Mike Kozlowski online or call us at (248) 907-0887 today!